Ask a Solicitor for Advice Online. Ask a question now!

Understand Your Rights

Renting out a home is a short-term action as opposed to owning a property, even so there are still certain things a lessor has to take into consideration. With the high profile nature of the rental market in the present climate and the increasing variety of people resorting to rental solutions, this is very important.

Despite the fact that you need to accept the terms and rights that are available to the proprietor, there are still a lot of rights that tenants are entitled to as a lessee.

A key element that a renter has the right to is the "peaceful pleasure" of the rental property. The tenant should make sure that the property owner is unable to arrive at "your" home without notification and expect to obtain entry. It is anticipated a property owner will supply their occupant with a notification period for all visits and they are not permitted to bother an occupant in their residence.

Undoubtedly a property owner has the right to check their rental property and to go to at particular times, but these all have to be known to the lessee beforehand. The time period that needs to be offered by the proprietor will depend upon the occupants prior arrangements, so if a tenant has any kind of issues regarding this they should refer their tenancy agreement.

The landlord must execute repair works

A tenant can expect a landlord to be in charge of the upkeep of the residence and to perform essential repairs in a timely and efficient manner. This will certainly typically need the renter to inform the proprietor of any problems. Any repairs or upkeep work ought to be completed within a sensible timespan, which could differ depending on the urgency surrounding the areas that require mending. A lessee can protect themselves by keeping a detailed record of any requests for repair work or maintenance work to be carried out.

In return, a renter is anticipated to pay their lease on the agreed day and to do so in an effective fashion. This might differ depending on the occupancy arrangement, there are particular things, like keeping the property in good order, reporting any sort of mistakes or breakages in the property.

An occupant must ensure that the propertyis secured

A tenant likewise has the right to have their down payment protected in an effective fashion. The landlord must put the down payment into an authorized deposit plan. There are suitable schemes provided by the government. The deposit should be returned to the renter at the end of the occupancy, providing that all terms of the tenancy have actually been fulfilled. If there is a dispute, the landlord can withhold parts of the down payment. Nonetheless, a renter will nevertheless have the right to appeal the quantity of money that is being withheld by the landlord at the end of an occupancy contract.

Appropriate procedures if asked to leave

A renter has the right for the proprietor to adhere to the right procedure if they want the renter to leave. This will commonly require a notice period, that the tenant should obtain in writing. If the property owner does not comply with the right procedure, they may be performing an illegal eviction, which will give the occupant cause for a counter-action. A prohibited expulsion or harassment of a renter is a criminal offence, which could lead to a prison sentence if the proprietor is found guilty.

A tenant has the right to know if they are accountable for a variety of renovations or treatments around the residential property. Lots of occupants will know that internal decorations, gardening jobs and some furniture will be under their own remit. However, if a residential property is promoted as fully provided, the tenant can anticipate the property owner to have full responsibility for the home.

Looking for answers? Ask a Solicitors Online Now

Use the box below to put your question to a solicitor or barrister. You will usually have an answer back within minutes.
Useful Resources: Direct Access Barrister| Expert Answers Ltd| Ask Lawyers| UK Composite Decking| Flame| Ask Solicitors| All About UK Law |

Used by:

Some of our Experts


Specialising in Divorce and family work. I advise on a wide variety of family and matrimonial issues.

Registered with the Information Commissioner under the Data Protection Act: No. Z1588806. © 2014 EXPERT ANSWERS LIMITED whose registered office is Cheshire, CH65, 4DB UK (company number 05220592) Expert Answers, My Will & Change Name are trading styles of Expert Answers Limited